GENERAL PRACTICE / AVIAN & EXOTIC ANIMAL MEDICINE DEPARTMENT
The medical care and treatment of avian and exotic pets is a discipline that requires a broad and extensive depth of knowledge as symptoms and conditions vary dramatically across every species. VCA West Los Angeles Animal Hospital’s Avian and Exotics Department staff have extensive training and experience in the treatment of birds, reptiles, small mammals, large exotics, and many other uncommon species. Our Avian & Exotic team offers general practice as well as specialty services.
Our Avian and Exotics General Practice Service offers unparalleled care in all of the following areas:
- Post purchase/adoption screening
- Wellness/annual exams
- Husbandry and diet management
- Dental disease
- Cloacal prolapse
- Metabolic bone disease
- Heavy metal toxicity
- Kidney failure
- Skin disease
- Behavioral disorders
- Ocular problems
- Respiratory disease
- Reproductive disorders
- Diarrhea, vomiting
- Anorexia, gut stasis
Our exotic general practice service works in conjunction with other specialty services when required, including our exotic specialty service, surgery, ophthalmology, cardiology, oncology, neurology, behavior, and physical rehabilitation. This cooperative approach to medicine provides the best specialized care for your pet while allowing primary management by an exotic and avian veterinarian.
Our facility is well-equipped for advanced diagnostics and treatment of all of your unique and special pets. We utilize many advanced diagnostic technologies and procedures as needed for our exotic patients.
Diagnostics and Procedures offered include:
- Clinical pathology, cytology and biopsy
- In-house bloodwork
- Bacterial, fungal, viral diagnostics
- Critical care / Emergency treatment
- Digital radiography
- Commuted tomography (CT)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Radiation therapy
- Behavioral consultation and modification
- House Calls
House calls are available on a limited basis for your exotic and avian pets. Please be aware that only a limited amount of veterinary services can be provided during a house call. We are typically able to perform only examinations and basic diagnostic testing. Please contact the Avian & Exotic team for more information on house call services.
Wildlife: Unfortunately, at this time VCA West Los Angeles Animal Hospital does not handle sick and injured wildlife cases. If you find sick or injured wildlife, please contact your local authorities or the California Department Fish and Wildlife.
AVIAN AND EXOTICS PET CARE LIBRARY
Our Avian and Exotics department is pleased to provide a pet care library containing a wealth of species-specific pet care educational materials for these very special and unique pets. Please feel free to browse and download the documents from our library below:
- Bearded Dragon Care and Husbandry
- Box Turtle Care and Husbandry
- Chameleon Care and Husbandry
- Chinchilla Care and Husbandry
- Cricket Care
- Guinea Pig Care and Husbandry
- Iguana Care and Husbandry
- Leopard Gecko Care and Husbandry
- Miniature Pig Care and Husbandry
- Parrot Care and Husbandry
- Rabbit Care and Husbandry
- Rat Care and Husbandry
- Small Passerines (Canaries and Finches) Care and Husbandry
- Small Rodent (Hamster, Mouse, Gerbil) Care and Husbandry
- Snake Care and Husbandry
- Spiny Tail Lizard (Uromastyx) Care and Husbandry
- Tortoise Care and Husbandry
- Water Turtle Care and Husbandry
VCA West Los Angeles Animal Hospital’s Avian and Exotics team offers complete diagnostic and treatment service for your avian or exotic pet. For further information or to schedule an appointment for your pet, please call us at 310-473-2951, and we will be happy to assist you.
For fun facts and cool tips, follow us on Twitter @exoticspetvet!