VCA Veterinary Care Animal Hospital and Referral Center has received the gold standard accreditation by the American Association of Feline Practioners (AAFP).
The AAFP seeks to encourage and facilitate good quality veterinary care for cats. However, we recognize that there are sometimes unique challenges and difficulties in bringing a cat to a veterinary practice.
Our Medical Director, Dr. Dawn Nolan, is our ‘Cat Advocate’ for VCA VCRC. She is a knowledgeable professional that ensures your cat’s care is guided by feline-focused standards. Cat Advocates are chosen for their experience, understanding, empathetic manner and willingness to help answer any of your questions.
Below are some specific ways we have adjusted our hospital environment to benefit your feline friends:
- We make an effort to have a calming environment.
- We have incorporated a waiting room/area that reduces stress associated with noise, other pets or unfamiliar smells (methods can include feline-only area, cat-only appointment times, going directly into the exam room, etc.).
- Staff are trained to understand the individualized needs of cats including feline specific behavior and facial features.
- We implement the Feline-Friendly Handling Guidelines to facilitate a more positive experience.
- We use a slow approach to achieve positive results.
- We develop an individual plan based on your cat's specific needs, preferences and behaviors.
- We implement ways to make you and your cat be as comfortable as possible.
- Staff continually obtain education on the most current feline research and guidelines.
- We will help ensure that you are a valuable member of your cat's healthcare team and help you understand your cat's needs and what you can do at home to ensure they get the care they need.
- We may use synthetic feline facial pheromones for a calming effect.
- We have a feline-only examination room that provides a safe, non-threatening area where cats can be examined calmly and effectively.
- We have experience to recognize subtle, early signs of fear or anxiety and adapt appropriately.
- Our cat ward, hospitalization area and operating room have been assessed to include appropriate feline equipment, tools and procedures.
Come visit us and you'll see why we received this unique accreditation!