Back to News

By Dr. Karen West
Published: June 05, 2014

Dear Clients, 

Fireworks can turn holidays, such as the Fourth of July into miserable nights for pets.  To some extent, this fear is genetic, but it's also learned.

Severe cases need anti-anxiety medication in order to cope with their noise phobia.  Just like most prescription medications, a current physical examination and consultation, along with blood work, are necessary to check for health concerns that would make anti-anxiety medications contraindicated for your pet. 

Medication alone cannot solve this problem.  The best plan is one that involves behavior modification as well.  For more information please contact our office to schedule an appointment with one of our veterinarians.  We have helpful tips on making this holiday one you both can enjoy!



The Doctors and Staff at VCA Redwood Animal Hospital