Travel Information

Within the Contiguous United States and Alaska

If traveling by air, your pet is required to be examined by a veterinarian within 5 to 10 days of your travel date; some airlines require a shorter time frame. If your pet is deemed fit to travel, the veterinarian will issue a Washington State Small Animal Health Certificate. The following information is required:
  • Your full name and complete current address
  • Complete name and address of your destination
  • New requirements as of 2009 prohibit the use of P.O Boxes. A complete street  address is required for your destination.
  • Documentation of your pet’s Rabies vaccine history if not given at VCA Redwood Animal Hospital
Health Certificates are typically valid for 30 days after the issue date for your return flight. However, if you have multiple destinations during your trip you may be required to obtain an additional health certificate prior to departure. Please contact your airline directly prior to scheduling an appointment for the health certificate to obtain their list of requirements.

Airlines also have specific requirements regarding carrier size, and have "no fly" times during the year in which your pet may not be allowed to travel in the cargo section of the plane due to extreme temperatures. Other times, airlines may simply require a written statement from a veterinarian indicating temperatures that are safe for your pet.

Outside the Contiguous U.S. - Traveling to Foreign Countries

Traveling outside the U.S. can become more difficult for your pet. Each country maintains its own set of regulations regarding vaccine history, testing, parasite control, microchips, and quarantine that may be required of your pet before he or she can enter that country. Please keep in mind that if you have a layover in another country prior to your final destination, your pet may be required to meet that country’s requirements as well. Once you know where you are going, it is strongly recommended you get as much information as possible about the requirements for pet export/import to those countries. Some countries require the Rabies vaccines and testing to be done at very specific intervals, sometimes months in advance, prior to allowing your pet entry into the country.
Please also be aware that if your travel plans change, it is extremely important to notify us immediately as this can often change the requirements.

VCA Redwood Animal Hospital has successfully helped clients travel with their pets to such countries and states as:
  • Australia
  • Brazil
  • Canada
  • China
  • Costa Rica
  • Croatia
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hawaii
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Mexico
  • Panama
  • Portugal
  • St. Kitts
  • United Kingdom

For additional information, fees, or to schedule a consultation please call or email our hospital manager, Jika Martinez at [email protected]

For useful pet travel information sites please see our Links page.