Windsor Green Fire
March 16th, 2013
On March 16th, 2013 our community suffered a devastating fire in the Windsor Green community of Carolina Forest. At least 26 buildings were destroyed, which over 109 families called home. Many families suffered the loss of their pets or were injured from the fire. Our hospital offered free exams to injured pets and free boarding to the affected families. Many of the rescued pets were either not claimed or put up for adoption. So far we have placed 4 cats in their forever home. Our Hospital Manager, Melanie Stefanski, and our Medical Director, Dr. Laurel Berger-Bishop, volunteered to answer telephone hotlines for the local news channel raising money for the victims, have conducted countless TV and newspaper interviews. Our receptionist team worked endlessly answering phones, taking names, numbers, and descriptions of missing or found animals to try and reunite owners with their pets. To date, the pets that we treated are still recovering from their injuries sustained in the fire.
Local Cat Found Shot
April 17th, 2013
Roman the cat was found by his owner on the 17th of April, 2013. His owner thought he had been bitten by a snake. He was brought to our hospital with breathing issues. Having taken x-rays, Dr. Ross Larson (staff veterinarian) discovered that he had been shot two times. Dr. Larson immediately prepped him for emergency surgery to fix the damage caused by the bullets. The bullets were unable to be retrieved. Roman is recovering very well with the 2 bullets still inside.