Why has my veterinarian prescribed this medicine?
Trifluridine is an antiviral medication used topically to treat viral infections of the eye, such as herpesvirus eye infections in cats.
How do I give this medication?
"If more than one eye medication is given, ensure that you allow at least 5 minutes between medications."
- Instill the drops and/or ointment in the cat's eye(s) as directed by your veterinarian. READ THE LABEL CAREFULLY.
- Wash your hands before and after administering the corticosteroid.
- DO NOT touch the eye with the tip of the dropper.
- DO NOT give the pet more medicine than directed and do not give more often than directed.
- Try not to miss giving any doses.
- This medication may cause stinging upon application.
- When starting treatment, you may be required to administer the drops every 2 hours for the first few days. The frequency may be decreased as your cat begins to respond to the medication.
- If more than one eye medication is given, ensure that you allow at least 5 minutes between medications.
What do I do if I miss giving a dose?
Give the dose as soon as possible. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose, and continue with the regular schedule. Do not give the pet two doses at once.
How do I store this medicine?
- Keep this medicine out of reach of children.
- Store this medication in the refrigerator (2° to 8°C)
- Store this medicine in a tight, light resistant container.
What are the potential side effects?
- Trifluridine may sting when instilled in the eye and may cause some eye irritation.
- If you notice anything unusual, contact your veterinarian.
Are there any possible drug interactions?
- Make sure to tell your veterinarian what other medication you are giving to your pet.
- Quite often, your veterinarian may prescribe two different medications, and sometimes a drug interaction may occur. In this case, your veterinarian may vary the dose and/or monitor your pet more closely.
- Contact your veterinarian if your pet experiences any unusual reactions when different medications are given together.