Why has my veterinarian prescribed this medicine?
"Nitenpyram may be combined with other medications as part of a comprehensive flea-control program."
Nitenpyram is used to treat flea infestations on dogs, puppies, cats and kittens older than 4 weeks of age and greater than 1 kg (2.2 lbs) in body weight. This medication kills adult fleas. It is not effective against flea eggs. Nitenpyram may be combined with other medications as part of a comprehensive flea-control program.
How do I give this medication?
- Give this medication to your pet as directed by your veterinarian. READ THE LABEL CAREFULLY.
- DO NOT give more medication than directed or more often than directed.
- Nitenpyram may be placed directly into the pet's mouth or hidden in the food. If you hide the pill in the food, make sure the pet has swallowed the pill. If you are not sure if the pet swallowed the pill, it is safe to give a second pill.
- Wash hands with soap and water after handling the medication.
What if I miss giving a dose?
Nitenpyram is used as needed, as often as once per day, whenever you see fleas on your pet.
How do I store this medicine?
- Keep this medicine out of reach of children.
- Store this medicine at room temperature. Store away from heat and direct sunlight.
- Do not store this medicine in the bathroom, near the kitchen sink or in damp places. The medicine may break down if exposed to heat or moisture.
What are the potential side effects?
- The dog or cat may start scratching itself as fleas begin to die. This is a temporary effect.
- If you notice anything unusual, contact your veterinarian.
Are there any possible drug interactions?
- Make sure to tell your veterinarian what other medication you are giving to your pet.
- Quite often, your veterinarian may prescribe two different medications, and sometimes a drug interaction may occur. In this case, your veterinarian may vary the dose and/or monitor your pet more closely.
- Contact your veterinarian if your pet experiences any unusual reactions when different medications are given together.
- Nitenpyram may be used with heartworm preventives, corticosteroids, antibiotics, vaccines, deworming medications, shampoos and other flea products.