Why has my veterinarian prescribed this medicine?
"One to 2 months of therapy may be required before efficacy is noted."
Niacinamide is often used with tetracycline to treat discoid lupus erythematosus in dogs. It may be prescribed for other conditions as well. One to 2 months of therapy may be required before efficacy is noted.
How do I give this medication?
- Give this medication to your pet as directed by your veterinarian. READ THE LABEL CAREFULLY.
- If using the liquid form of this medication, shake well before measuring the dose and measure the dose with reasonable care.
- DO NOT give the pet more medicine than directed.
- DO NOT give the medicine more often than directed.
- Try not to miss giving any doses.
What if I miss giving a dose?
Give the dose as soon as possible. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose, and continue with the regular schedule. Do not give the pet two doses at once.
How do I store this medicine?
- Keep this medicine out of reach of children.
- Store capsules and tablets in a cool, dry place at room temperature. Store away from heat and direct sunlight.
- Do not store this medicine in the bathroom, near the kitchen sink or in damp places. The medicine may break down if exposed to heat or moisture.
What are the potential side effects?
- Adverse effects with this medication are uncommon.
- Side effects that may occur include vomiting, tiredness and a diminished appetite.
- Other side effects may occur. If you notice anything unusual, contact your veterinarian.
Are there any possible drug interactions?
- Make sure to tell your veterinarian what other medication you are giving your pet.
- Quite often, your veterinarian may prescribe two different medications, and sometimes a drug interaction may occur. In this case, your veterinarian may vary the dose and/or monitor your pet more closely.
- The following drugs can potentially interact with niacinamide: insulin and anti-diabetic agents
- Contact your veterinarian if your pet experiences any unusual reactions when different medications are given together.