Oxygen and Transfusion Therapy
Blood Bank — Donation & Transfusions for Pets
At VCA Loomis Basin Veterinary Clinic our care for dogs and cats extends to providing them with lifesaving blood transfusions. For more than 25 years, Loomis Basin has operated its own blood donation service and has maintained a supply of blood for dogs and cats in case of emergency. The blood is collected from donor pets that live with their owners, and all blood is carefully screened for disease.
Donor requirements are as follows:
- Donors between 1 and 4 years of age are ideal, as we retire donors by 8 years of age.
- Canine blood donors need to be at least 60 pounds, have a calm temperament, be current on vaccinations, and be on heartworm prevention.
- Feline blood donors must be at least 8 pounds, indoors only, and current on vaccinations.
- Female dogs and cats must be spayed and never have been pregnant.
- Donors are expected to donate approximately every 6 weeks.
- Additional requirements apply.
In addition to the satisfaction of knowing your pet’s donation will go toward saving the life of someone else’s beloved pet, your pet receives several valuable benefits. For more detailed information, please see our Canine and Feline Blood Donor brochures. If you think your pet might be a suitable candidate for our program, please contact us for more information.