Annual Wellness Exams Keep Your Pet Healthy
At Loomis Basin Veterinary Clinic, we believe the key to keeping your pet healthy begins with the annual pet exam. We know you want to give your pet the best care possible. These vitally important exams help us to get to know your pet both from a medical and personal standpoint. The tests we perform give us valuable information about what is normal for your pet so that if illness or injury occurs, we have a better idea of how to treat him or her.
We firmly believe these annual physical exams are the simplest and best preventive step you can take for your pet. Because pets age seven times faster than we do, regular examinations are important to monitor your pet’s health. Wellness examinations along with screening blood and urine tests can establish a baseline for your pet and detect any changes early. Catching changes early, before they become serious, often means that they will be easier and less expensive to treat. We will talk to you about health problems and behaviors to look for and we will listen carefully to your questions and observations. Working together, we can help your pet to have the best health and the best life possible.
For pets who are 6 years and younger, Wellness Exams are recommended at least once a year. Because pets age much quicker than humans, for pets over 6 years of age, Wellness Exams are recommended at least twice a year, to screen for any sign of illness or diseases.
A Wellness Exam will include the following:
- A consultation with your veterinarian during which you will discuss your pet’s day to day routine and any health concerns or questions you may have. You might be asked questions about his or her activity level, personality and nutrition.
- A hands-on examination performed by your veterinarian, which will assess your pet’s overall health from nose to tail. Areas examined will include the abdomen, head and neck, eyes, ears, mouth and skin. In addition, the doctor will also evaluate your pet’s musculoskeletal system, as well as listen to their heart and lungs.
- Other, additional annual procedures also typically performed at the time of a
Wellness Exams include:
- Vaccines " your veterinarian will update any necessary vaccines.
- Intestinal Parasite Exam " a stool sample will be sent off to the lab to check for any worms or other intestinal parasites.
- Additional Diagnostic Testing " any additional diagnostic testing pertinent to your pet’s life stage. This could include blood tests, urinalysis, or radiographs as needed.