Dog Life Stages - Adult (1- 6 years old)
Adult Dog Tips
House pets vary widely in their activity levels and caloric needs. A dog with a “normal” activity level requires only maintenance calories. Whereas a lap dog may require 10% below maintenance, and an extremely active pet that exercises regularly may require 20 to 40% above maintenance.
Dogs build up plaque and tartar just like humans do. Specially formulated dental chews or chew toys can keep your pet’s teeth healthy and strong.
Not every adult dog needs to be vaccinated against every disease. That’s why it’s important to consult with your vet. Age, medical history, environment, travel habits and lifestyle all play into immunization decisions.
VCA CareClub Adult Paws Wellness Plans
There’s a reason they call dogs "man’s best friend". They are smart, loyal, fun and just about always happy to see you. The Adult Dog CareClub® Wellness Plan brings you the best in dog health care, including diabetes testing, doctor recommended vaccines, and more Keep your dog healthy with regular visits to the vet.
Learn more about this special package, or call us at 562-921-3539 to make an appointment today.
The Dog Park
When is a dog full-grown? You can find the answer to this and other important questions here. We’ve got tips, tricks, advice and the latest news on dog development.
Regular checkups are a must for a healthy adult dog. Here, you’ll find links to articles on basic care including behavior, grooming, exercise and more.
- Brushing Your Dog's Teeth
- Adopting a Dog: Surviving the First 24 Hours
- 3 Lifesaving Commands Every Dog Should Know
- Dog Tags 101: What You Need to Know to Keep Your Pet Safe
- How to Break 7 Common Bad Dog Habits
Did you know that simply eliminating treats may bring your dog’s weight down to a healthy one. Learn how to manage your dog’s nutritional needs here.
- Canine Nutrition 101 - Choosing the Right Food for Your Dog
- Food Isn't Love: Why Dogs and Cats Shouldn't Pack on the Pounds
- Want Happier, Healthier Cats and Dogs? Use Food Puzzles
- Help Your Overweight Pet Slim Down
- 10 Things You Should Know About Feeding Your Pet
Keeping on top of your dog’s health now will go a long way later. Read up on the latest trends and advancements in medical care for dogs.
- Wellness Exam
- Video: How to Prepare Your Dog for the Vet Exam
- Keep Your Dog's Knees Safe and Healthy
- Alleviate Your Dog's Separation Anxiety
- Spay Surgery for Dogs and Cats
Training your dog doesn’t have to a chore. Here are some helpful articles that will get you through the training of your adult dog.
- Dog Exercise: Keeping Your Pup in Good Shape
- 6 Steps to House train an Adopted Adult Dog
- Match Your Dog's Breed Type to the Right Exercise
- Work Out With Rover: How to Get Your Fitness Routine Going
- Training Your Dog? Why Rewards Work Better Than Punishment
- Cats and Dogs Can Live Together - With Some Careful Planning
Adult Dog to Senior Dog
As your adult dog matures into a senior dog, he may slow down a little bit. And that’s ok. Though your senior dog may need more frequent vet visits, chances are, with proper care, he can enjoy many more happy and healthy years. Learn about the “Senior Dog” Lifestage »