It's easier to lose your pet than you might think. If you leave your companion pet with your children unattended, if you leave your pet off leash outside, if your pet is unleashed or uncrated in your car - these are all opportunities for your pet to run off into the unknown. HomeAgain offers you peace of mind through a simple procedure known as microchipping.
What is microchipping? The process is similar to a routine shot and takes only a few seconds. A veterinarian simply injects a microchip for dogs and cats, about the size of a grain of rice, beneath the surface the skin between the shoulder blades. There is no anesthesia or sedation required, and your pet will not react any more than he would to a vaccination. The only thing you as the owner will have to do is register your pet online through the HomeAgain registry and upload your contact information to ensure your connection to your companion animal.
Once implanted, the HomeAgain microchip is permanent pet ID. Since the microchip itself has no internal energy source, it will last the life of your pet with no adverse side effects. The microchip number is read by passing a microchip scanner over the pet's shoulder blades. Once the identification number is scanned, the number can be looked up through the HomeAgain registry to gain access to your personal information so that you and your pet can be reunited.
Beside having the advantage of being able to be reunited with your pet if lost, HomeAgain also offers an Active Recovery Program with many wonderful features. These features include:
- National Recovery Database: HomeAgain microchips are designed with a link to a permanent listing in our national lost pet database. This means anytime/anywhere pet recovery service simply by scanning the microchip number and searching the registry.
- Lost Pet Specialists: The HomeAgain Call Center is staffed with Lost Pet Specialists to help pet owners deal with losing a pet. These specialists are available 24/7 to send out Lost Pet Alerts and guide you through the emotional process of recovering your lost pet.
- 24/7 Emergency Medical Hotline: HomeAgain offers 24 hour pet emergency services in the event you cannot reach your veterinarian after office hours.
- Travel Assistance for Lost Pets: HomeAgain will cover up to $500 to fly your found dog or cat home if discovered further than 500 miles away from your home.
- Lost Pet Medical Insurance: HomeAgain will cover up to $3,000 for medical bills for injuries sustained when your cat or dog is lost. Simply enroll with PetFirst after registering your pet with HomeAgain.
With all these wonderful services, it's hard to imagine why your wouldn't microchip your pet. Having a permanent connection to your companion will give you the freedom to enjoy your adventures together to the fullest. So call your veterinarian today and ask about microchipping!