Breed Basic Information
- Lifespan: 10 - 15 years
- Weight: 6 - 15 pounds
Medical Conditions Seen
- Lap Cat
- Ease of Training
- Grooming Requirements
- Good with Children
- Good with Dogs
- This newcomer to the feline pedigree began July 4, 1988 when a Persian cat breeder named Jeri Newman of Montana bred a curly haired kitten from a nearby shelter with one of her black Persians. The litter of six yielding a trio sporting curly hair.
- A breeding program was created that initially included Persians, British Shorthairs, Persians and Exotics until the unique Selkirk Rex look developed.
- The Cat Fanciers Association accepted the Selkirk Rex in 2000.
- Super mellow and laidback, the Selkirk Rex prefers laps to running laps.
- People enjoy this breed's quiet nature, gentleness and sweet affection.
- One of the best traits of this breed is its patience with people and other pets. It is playful but not hyperactive.
- This breed is best suited for stalking toys on the floor rather than leaping and swatting at wand toys.
- Save room on your bed because this breed expects to share some Zzzz's with you.
- This breed puts the "C" in curly and cute, plus comes in many colors.
- You can obtain shorthaired or longhaired plush coat versions. Both feel soft to the touch like a teddy bear.
- One of the beefier breeds, the Selkirk Rex displays a cobby, solid build, strong legs and giant fuzzy paws. This is a heavy-boned and muscular breed.
- Most are born with curls, but a few are born with straight hair. In some, the curls develop and become more prominent when the Selkirk Rex becomes an adult.
- No need to brush more than once a week with a wide toothed comb -ź you don't want to take the curl out of its coat.
- Selkirk Rexes belong to the "wash-and-wear" cat club, however, they are not recommended for individuals who are allergic to cat allergens.
- Pay attention to the ears and keep them clean and free of ear wax.
- Rarely needs a bath but when you do, blot them dry with a towel instead of using a blow dryer.
Suggested Nutritional Needs
- Serve high quality commercial food to keep its coat healthy and reduce shedding.
- The Selkirk Rex is often affectionately nicknamed a "cat in sheep's clothing" and the "cat with a bad hair day" due to its fuzzy, curly hair. However, some Selkirk Rexes have straight hair.
- Sometimes confused as a curly British Shorthair or Persian.
- The first Selkirk Rex kitten was named Miss DePesto after the curly-haired character in the popular television show, Moonlighting. All Selkirk Rexes trace their lineage to Miss DePesto.
Did you know?
- A decrease in cat grooming behavior may indicate they are in pain.
- Some cat parasites are transferable to humans.
- Many common pet ailments may be detected early and prevented by visiting your veterinarian twice yearly - saving both time, money, and most importantly, ensuring the best quality of life for your cat.
Come visit us, we would love to see you!
We are here to help! Book an appointment today to continue your pet on a path to great health and wellness
Ask the Vet
Have unanswered pet health questions? Dr.Donna Spector, with 10+ years of hands-on Internal Medicine experience, is here with your answers every Friday.