Our hospital offers Endoscopy Services. Endoscopy is a minimally invasive diagnostic medical procedure that is used to assess the interior surfaces of an organ by inserting a tube into the body. It is an essential diagnostic tool for pets with disorders of the gastrointestinal tract. The endoscope instrument has a built-in camera at the end of either a rigid or flexible tube, allowing for both visual inspection and photography. Many endoscopes have a channel through which biopsy or retrieval forceps may be placed to perform many different procedures including foreign body removal from the esophagus and stomach. Ask your veterinarian if endoscopy may be right for your pet, and what types of endoscopy we offer.
The most common types of endoscopy procedures performed in veterinary medicine include:
- Rhinoscopy - allows examination of the nasal passages
- Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (Upper GI endoscopy) - allows examination of the esophagus, stomach and upper GI tract
- Colonoscopy (Lower GI endoscopy) - allows examination of the colon and lower GI tract
- Bronchoscopy - allows examination of the lower (lung) and upper airways
- Otoscopy - allows examination of the deep ear canals
- Cystoscopy - allows examination of the bladder and lower urinary tract
- Arthroscopy - allows examination of the joints and is often used for surgical procedures
- Laparoscopy - allows examination of the abdominal cavity and internal organs, often used as an alternative to open surgery for taking biopsies and some minor surgeries
- Thoracoscopy - allows examination of the chest cavity.