At VCA Bering Sea Animal Hospital, we look forward to providing your family with the most up-to-date and current medicine in veterinary care that is possible. We take great pride in educating you on the new and latest. As the days get busier and time flies by, just remember that we will always provide the best and most compassionate care we possibly can.
Spring Time Alaska Dog Park Etiquette:
The following are some basic guidelines that should be taken into consideration when bringing your dog to a dog park, wooded area or schools as the weather warms. These are suggestions for dog owners to use as a guide " different items will be important to different people and pets.
Be sure to take your dog’s temperament with other dogs and strangers into consideration and don’t assume she/he is having a good time. Always watch your dog’s demeanor and make an informed judgment about how happy she/he is to be there. Some dogs will have no desire to play, yet will love to sniff all the bushes and trees; other dogs will be thrilled to race other dogs at the parks, wooded areas and schools. Both of these types of dogs can benefit from all 3 locations " they just will enjoy it in different ways.
If you take the time to be an informed dog owner, you will be able to judge for yourself if the situation you and your dog are in is good. In short, have fun at the dog park, wooded area and schools. Don’t forget to get yourself a pooper scooper! Be sure your dog is up-to-date on his/hers vaccinations, if you are not sure what vaccines are needed call us today.
• Its not recommended to bring a puppy that is under 4 month of age to areas other dogs may frequent. If you would like to take your puppy to any of these areas, please check with your veterinarian first
• It’s not recommended to allow your dog to bully another or have your dog bullied. This ruins their experiences and they may not want to go back
• Don’t ever let your dog off-leash in an un-fenced dog park, wooded area or schools if she/he is not responsive to your verbal commands. Its recommended to try a ice rink or fenced in area, so you can get them comfortable and trained to your commands
• Its not a good idea bring intact males or females in heat to a dog park, wooded area or and schools. This will cause pets to fights, run away or unwanted puppy’s to name a few
• Its not recommended to spend your time talking on a cell phone - you must be able to see your dog at all times and be able to give them your full attention
• Be sure to keep an eye out for any wild animals such as bears, moose, beavers, porcupines and birds. Pets will try and eat their poop and try to run after them, which can result in injury or death
• Be sure to scoop the poop if your dogs goes, this will stop the spread of diseases you and your pets