Traveling with Your Pet

All of our veterinarians are USDA accredited. They can perform the required health exams, obtain the proper blood samples, administer the appropriate vaccines and prepare the certifications you need for international travel, all by appointment only.  Below is some general advice from the USDA to better prepare you for the process.  Please make sure to read everything before your appointment.  We will supply form APHIS 7001 and the EU Certificate (for European travel) if it is required by the country you intend to travel to.    
Helpful websites:
The USDA website with detailed instructions for each country:
All-Pet Travel is a service that specializes in traveling with your pets and they keep up with the ever-changing government regulations and homeland security.

 1. Cats and dogs need to meet country-specific requirements.  If you transit one country on your way you MAY (or not) have to meet requirements of the transit country as well as those of the country of destination. Your veterinarian and USDA can supply information and assistance in the process, but the PET OWNER is ultimately responsible to ensure requirements are met.  Some travelers find that companies which specialize in pet shipping are useful.  The USDA website has a comprehensive list of requirements for every country in the link below.  Select your country or destination to get the most up to date requirements.  

 2. Pets may need a microchip and always require a current rabies vaccination.  Other tests, vaccinations and treatments may be required. 

3.  Some countries have their own health certificate they want to be used (European Union, South Africa, Japan and others).  These certificates may be available online, directly from a ministry in the country, from an embassy office, or may require an application for an entry permit to obtain. 
4. You will need to work with a USDA-Accredited Veterinarian who will do the required health exams, draw any blood samples, administer vaccinations and treatments and prepare a health certificate to suit both the country and specific airline.  An appointment should be made with the veterinarian to discuss the process in a timely manner.  The certificate should be done in an appointment within 10 days of travel.  Some countries and airlines may be more restrictive.  Also, there are special arrangements by some countries for family pets of US military members.
5. You will also need to contact the airline your pet is flying on to find out if there are any special requirements.  Speak to the airline CARGO personnel (even if pet is flying in-cabin) at the airport you will be leaving from.  Believe it or not, some airlines vary their policies between airports.  Record their names and save the information as relayed.
6. After your veterinarian has prepared the health certificate it needs to go to a USDA Veterinary Services Area office to be endorsed.  Endorsement means that USDA places a signature, seal or stamp on the documents attesting that the USDA Accredited veterinarian is approved to do export document work.  There are area offices in Richmond, Virginia and most state capitols. Use one that is most convenient for you.
7. You can bring your documents to the area office in Richmond in person or you can send them.  You MUST call and make an appointment to ensure there will be a Veterinary Medical Officer in the office to sign your documents.   If you send the documents to office, use an express service (UPS or FedEx).  Surface mail is not recommended, unless you are sure about time lines.  Include a prepaid return label so they can send the documents back.  Provide telephone numbers where you can be reached.  Often there are minor corrections that can be made if you can be contacted.  They will process and send back your documents. 
USDA Office:
Richmond, VA   -  serving DC, DE, MD, VA
Attention: Export
Federal Building
400 N. 8th Street, Ste. 726
Richmond, VA 23219
Telephone - (804) 343-2567
Fax - (804) 343-2599