Cat Life Stages - Senior (7+ years old)
Older cats tend to scratch less. That means it is extremely important to trim their nails on a regular basis.
As cats age, their hearing may be reduced. Have your vet check her ears to rule out parasites, infection or other medical problems that could interfere with hearing.
You may need to give your cat a little grooming help since he may not be flexible enough to do it himself anymore. Frequent brushing also prevents him from swallowing too much hair.
Senior Best Care Checkup
So how long do cats live? It varies. But, owning an older cat can be just as much fun as owning a younger one. In fact, a senior cat’s relaxed energy can be very soothing to many people. The Senior Best Care program includes semi-annual health exams as well as diagnostic testing, X-rays and fecal exams.
Learn more about this special package, or call us at 703-751-2022 to make an appointment today.
Have a 7+ years old cat at home? This is the place to research tips, tricks, advice and the latest news on senior cat care.
There’s a lot to talk about when it comes to basic care for a senior cat. Here are a few links to learn more about how to care for your cat in her “golden years”.
- Senior Cat Care-Special Considerations for Cats
- Quality of Life at the end of life for your cat
- Caring for Your Senior Cat
- 10 Tips to Keep Your Cat's Brain Forever Young
Some cats have a tendency towards obesity as they age, while some cats lose weight. Learn how to manage your senior cat’s nutritional needs here.
More frequent vet visits are a must for senior cats. It’s also important to look out for warning signs of a medical emergency. Read more to learn what to look for.
- Wellness in Geriatric Cats
- Osteoarthritis in Cats - Joint Support with Nutraceuticals
- Obesity in Cats
- Lenticular Sclerosis in Cats
- Cognitive Dysfunction in Dogs and Cats
- Complementary Medication in Behavior
- Pets with Disabilities: Overview
- Spondylosis Deformans in Cats
It’s never too late to teach an old cat some new tricks. You’d be surprised what some senior cats can do.